Saturday, January 25, 2014

New Year, New Sewing Room!

Part of the reason I had not continued with learning how to sew and quilt in years past was the condition of the area where my sewing stuff was located. It was dark, unwelcoming, disorganized, and without good work stations. So around the middle of December I decided - Thats it! I am fixing this situation. Since our house doesn't have a basement or attic, all the "stuff" that has no where else to go would end up getting thrown into my "studio." So, the first step was a major purge and reorganizing.

Here it is before the makeover, but after the purge:





The next steps were painting the room (I hate fake wood paneling), figuring out the layout of the room and constructing a large work table. I found an online IKEA hack using their Lack Tables, which are small side tables and putting them together to make a large work space. Here are some in progress pictures: 








I also built a Light Box: 


In addition to the Light Box, I got a frame for a beautiful piece of art that was a gift from the artist when I was child. I also sewed a curtain, chair cushions and a pillow. Other than that I made a new top for my ironing board and a smaller 18 x 18 press board that I can have at the work table for when I am piecing or whatnot. I have my Huskystar C10 set up as a Free Motion Quilting Machine in the Gidget 2 sewing table, with the Queen Supreme Slider mat and a modified generic free motion quilting foot. I following Leah Day's tutorial on how to modify the foot. I have my Brother Project Runway LE for piecing and regular sewing, which I can move onto the big work table or have at the brown desk, depending on what I feel like. 
Here are photos of the room basically finished: 














I am super excited and have already made a bunch of things in the room like my BBQA blocks, a few ribbon belts, ribbon pillow and wreath, scissor/tool cases, and next is a small FMQ Wholecloth Quilt project from some of  Leah Day's old videos. I just loved it and I wanted to make it. 
Pictures of what I have made so far in my new studio! 







So I just wanted to add this post, to remember this process and what happened in the very end of 2013 and beginning of 2014! New Year, New Sewing Room, New Adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment